When the girls and I got back from our trip to San Antonio last month...my mother casually mentioned that her cat, Todd, seemed lonely. The girls heard this innocent comment from the basement of their friend's house 5 miles away. They ran all the way home. Faster than lightning. And wanted to know when they were going to get a kitten to be a friend to Todd. Before we could blink. Or pick our jaws up from the floor. The girls had these kittens named. Knew where they might sleep at night. And figured out who would take care of them when we go on vacation next.
Ummm...no one said we were getting a kitten. So the girls argued that:
1. We'll scoop the litter box. And I replied: Are you nuts? We are not getting kittens.
2. We'll feed the kitten every day. And I replied: No, absolutely not.
3. We'll make sure that the kitten has water. And I replied: When pigs fly.
4. We'll be responsible. And I replied: Not in a month of Sundays.
5. We'll do whatever you ask us. And I replied: When chicken have teeth.
6. We'll clean our rooms without you asking us. And I replied: When hell freezes over.
7. We really will take care of the kitten. And I replied: When the sun rises in the West.
8. We'll be sweet. And not argue. And I replied: When frogs grow hair.
9. But mom...you won't have to do anything! And I replied: When it snows in summer.
10. Really, we'll take care of it. And I replied: Not a chance.
11. You won't even know it's here. And I replied: Only if it's the end of the world - "Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
12. We'll give you foot massages on demand if you let us get a kitten. And I replied: On the first of never.
13. PLEASE! And I replied: NO, and that's FINAL!