Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Katie Cooks: Bean Dip edition

Is it cooking if you don't use the stove? If you don't "hot it up" as my grandmother used to say? This is an incredibly easy recipe...made even easier because there is no cooking involved. It's requested almost as much as my grits casserole. And my children think it's sacrilege to have Mexican food without bean dip. I got this recipe from my friend and Creative Memories consultant Patty - who always used to serve it at crops. This is also the bean dip that Madalyn "stole" cheese from (check out the comments from this post to see that gem of a story).

Here are all the ingredient:


Put the beans in the bottom of a pan. We like to smoosh the beans so that the dip is not chunky. Is smooshing a word?


Next, add salsa. We're wimpy and use mild:


Next layer is Ranch dressing. When people have this dip this is the part that perplexes them. Make 'em guess. They'll want to think it's sour cream...but they know that is not it. But for some reason, they don't think Ranch. When you add the ranch, attempt to keep it as a layer and not mix it with the salsa. This is a challenge. Sometimes you just have some nice pink salsa when you are done.


Finally top with cheese. Dont' let small children steal this part. Or put it back.


Serve with chips. If your children are anything like mine...they'll want any leftovers for breakfast. You can always top with other things like diced tomatoes or olives or jalapenos. We don't. Because we don't like them.

Here is our simple recipe (and yes, it's another without measurements. You don't need no stinkin' measurements)

1 small can refried beans

salsa

Ranch dressing

shredded cheese

Add beans to bottom of dish (I use an 11x7 or 9x9 dish. If you are going to use a 9x13, you'll probably want 2 cans of beans.) Spread evenly.

Top with salsa

Add Ranch dressing, Spreading over salsa.

Top with shredded cheese and whatever else you want to add.

Eat with chips. It keeps for about a week in the fridge. If it lasts that long. Enjoy!

post signature

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

yum--i think this will be dinner tonight! I'm off to the store!
cindysue

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I'm so glad that I have helped you with dinner plans. The girls would be thrilled to find that bean dip was dinner. Or breakfast.

Heather said...

Ranch is a miracle food. I use it to get my kids to eat anything. I just say, "Here, dip it in ranch." I never thought to layer it in this particular dip. It sounds amazing!! I think I'll try it.

You're killing me with this song...even though I have to admit it fits the post beautifully.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Ranch works like a miracle here, too. It is almost always used as a dip. You don't like what we are having for dinner? Dip it in ranch and you'll love it. Madalyn dips EVERYTHING in ranch...from steak to salad. And salads here are finger food...each piece dipped in ranch...can't actually spread it over the leaves!

And sorry about the song...it does fit beautifully :-) It'll be gone with the next post!

Rhea said...

Ranch helped me get my kids to eat veggies and salad. :o)

This looks yummy, Kat! Thanks for sharing.

Did you post a recipe on Pioneer Woman's site yesterday for the kitchen giveaway?

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Rhea--There was a kitchen give away?! The things that I miss. I'll have to go and check it out...

Nissa said...

yumm.. I heart bean dip! I never thought of ranch in it, but will definitely try it next time!

Debbie said...

Oh Kat, that music....argghhhhh..ya know I love ya anyway ;)

Debbie said...

Wait my first comment didn't show up. I goofed..not about the music..but about the fact that i just ate dinner and this recipe is making my mouth water..Yum yum...I am definitely going to try it out!

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Sorry about the music! I was inspired by you, Debbie, to try and find songs to match my posts. I just had an epiphany and put Mexico by James Taylor on...

It's a yummy dip...and oh so easy. Let me know when you make it!

John Deere Mom said...

Oh, I love this dip. Love it. We add taco seaoning to sour cream in lieu of the ranch. And of course black olives on top. The kids turn their noses up at the olives, but I love them!

Unknown said...

we're so making this this weekend!! That looks nummy!!!

Rhea said...

Bean dip lasts a week in the fridge? Dang, that's a week of gas at your house. Wooowee!!

Unknown said...

MmmmMmmmm...

And yes, smooshed is a word. I used to use it in New Zealand, so it must definitely be a word, because that was over 12 years ago !!!

Yep, it's a word. I just checked the onlibe dictionaries... :-)