Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Cookie Swap: Peanut Butter Cup cookies

A few weeks ago, Monogram Chick decided to host a cookie swap. I was matched with three other bloggers and we got our names right before Thanksgiving. My partners were quite on the ball. I got peanut butter cookies. With a fabulous recipe that I passed on to my friend whose daughter has to be gluten free. And then I got this wonderful tin of Andes candies chocolate cookies. Madalyn declared those hers. And then. Again. More cookies arrived. Pretty much a traditional toll house recipe - but with a box of instant vanilla pudding added. And. Oh wow. They were awesome. And finally. Last week. I finally decided to get my act together and make some cookies.

But what to make?

My favorite kind of cookie is chocolate chip. And I love to make toll house cookies. Without the chocolate chips. Scandalous. But delicious. Perhaps only to me. So, not that one. The kids and I always make these chocolate pretzel cookies. But part of the rules of the cookie swap was no kid fingers in the dough. I guess not that one if I am going to follow the rules. But wait - does it count if there is no dough? So. I decided to go with a tried and true favorite. Peanut butter cup cookies. Because who can go wrong with the combination of peanut butter. And chocolate.

Here is our cast of characters.

The recipe that I have says it will make 36 cookies. But it really doesn't. Maybe I make my cookies bigger than the recipe writer. I love big cookies. A doubled recipe - here at casa Sunshine and Lemonade - makes about 4 and a half dozen cookies. Your mileage may vary.

First thing to do - measure out the butter, peanut butter, and both kinds of sugar.
Cream them all together.
Please ignore all the spatters on my mixer. I keep trying to win one of those fancy Kitchen Aid mixers from Pioneer Woman. They come in all sorts of colors. Like pink. Or lime green. I want a red one. But out of the ten thousand or so entries, mine name has never been picked. I keep hoping that my contest giveaway mojo will rub off on my ability to win something one day. Have you entered my contest? Your odds are much better with me than with PW. Except that I am not giving away a Kitchen Aid mixer.

Where were we??

Oh. Yes. Beat in your eggs and vanilla.

This is the whole reason we are told to not lick the spoon. The beater. The bowl. All because of these eggs. Do you live life on the edge and lick anyway?

Add your flour. Gradually. Or else the mixer will send it all over your kitchen. Not that I know this from experience or anything.After all the flour is combined. Cover and put in the fridge. It will be easier to handle when it's a cold. Let it sit in there for about an hour. In the meantime. It's time to take the wrappers off of your peanut butter cups. I would like to suggest that you get extra packages of peanut butter cups. Because this process is sort of like going to a pick your own strawberry patch. Without the bugs. Heat. And bending over. You know. One for the bowl. One for you. And you keep doing this because no one is going to weigh you when you are done. And you just hope that no one notices the red dribbles going down your shirt from the berries. Or the smears of chocolate. Or is that peanut butter across your forehead? Not that I would ever do that. Or speak from experience.

Where were we?

Oh...okay. We are going to work with our hands here. Get some dough and roll it into a ball. Maybe 1 1/4 inches in diameter. I don't know. I don't cook with a ruler.Then press a peanut butter cup into the middle.

And roll into a ball again.

And bake. And when you pull these out of the oven. They are gorgeous.

Look at them. With their secret cache of peanut butter cup. Right in the middle.

Let them cool completely. And then you can make the drizzle.

Get your ingredients out. Put them in a bowl. Stick it in the microwave to melt. And stir. Then I scraped all the melted goodness into a baggie. Cut a small corner off. And drizzled the chocolate and peanut butter over the cookies.So pretty.But not too pretty to eat.Absolutely sinful.

Here is the recipe (I always double it. Except for the drizzle. You can keep those proportions the same):

1 cup butter, softened

1/2 cup creamy peanut butter

3/4 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 cup sugar

1 egg

1 tsp vanilla

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 tsp baking soda

13oz package of minature peanut butter cups

Drizzle:

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

1 Tbsp creamy peanut butter

1 tsp shortening

Cream the butter, peanut butter, and sugars.

Beat in egg and vanilla

Combine flour and baking soda - gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well.

Cover and refrigerate for about an hour

Roll into 1 1/4 inch balls. Press a peanut butter cup into each and reshape into a ball.

Place about 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet.

Bake at 350º for 12-15 minutes or browned.

For drizzle, combine the chocolate, peanutbutter and shortening and melt in the microwave.

Stir until smooth

Drizzle over cooled cookies.

So...what about you? Do you have a signature cookie? Ever done a cookie swap? Do you lick the cookie dough from the spoon? What color Kitchen aid mixer would you want?

post signature

Theme song: Rolling Stones - Brown Sugar

47 comments:

Tam said...

OO great recipes and pictures. Now only if I had someone to bake for me I would be set!

Jill said...

OMG, those look so unbelievably delicious... almost enough for me to look forward to going back to India. Almost.

Shannon said...

I'm seriously about to lick my computer screen... 'cause they look so yummy I swear I could just taste them!

I would love a KitchenAid mixer... I don't even care what color, I just covet one of those darn mixers!



I don't have a signature cookie... most of the cookies that get baked here are the pre-made kind. Where you just have to plop the dough on the cookie sheet and in the oven they go. Best part is since the dough has been processed, there's no fear whatsoever about salmonella or whatever...

Rhea said...

OMG, I thought you were done when I saw the cookies with the peanut butter cups inside...and then you added drizzle!! That looks so fabulously delicious. I must make this recipe.

You rock, Kat. Who knew you had this little gem hidden in your repertoire.

I don't have a signature cookie. Except ones I buy. I'm slightly culinary challenged, I think.

Hepburn Hilton said...

Thoose look yummy!

Elena said...

Mmmmmm...yep, these are much like the Santa Surprise Cookies. (The Snowball Kisses are more of a short bread cookie.) I like the pb cup idea A LOT! I'm a peanut butter freak. And I can NOT get over the fact that you make choc. chip cookies without choc. chips! My husband would love that. What's wrong with you people?! ;)

Anonymous said...

wow those look mega-delicious!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness. Those are sinful looking cookies. Send some my way, ok??
Unfortunately I don't bake. I cook. For whatever reason I simply can not do both.
Dh and Ds made awesome gingerbread cookies this week though. I have sincerely enjoyed eating their efforts :)
A mixer, well I love red, but it would end up not being used. So if I won one, I'd give it to you.

MsTypo said...

Those cookies look so good!! IF i had an oven that worked i would totally be baking those right now. Mmmmmmmmm!!!

Heather said...

Those look amazing! Love the drizzle!

I have a Kitchen Aid, but it's only white. I have thought about spray painting it red (I love red), but I haven't yet.

Hmmm, a signature cookie? I'm with you on the Tollhouse choc chip cookies, but I make mine with mini-chips and make sure they're really crispy on the edges (kinda like Panera). We also make a Yankee Doodle cookie at this time of year; basically a snickerdoodle with cherries. It's yummy.

Oh, and I so live on the edge. I lick the mixers, the bowl, and eat half the dough when I make choc chip cookies. I'm pretty sure I'm immune to salmonella...

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

These look so good! I wish I could grab one right out of the computer!

Lisa said...

I just gained 3 pounds reading that. Dangit.

I have an award for you at my place :)

Unknown said...

I eat the dough raw. Yummy. I love this recipe I think I will have to try it.

lynette355 said...

signature cookie my cg fav is sugar cookies w/red hots mixed in them. easy but nice change
never done a cookie swap but i make tons of them for holiday gifts.
me and cg fight to see who gets to lick the cookie dough from the spoon
a pink colored Kitchen aid mixer or just a mixer like that period. we mix all by hand.
look at my blog for yesterday to just see the cookies we made in one day. Oh the count on top is total cookies made for holidays so far. long way from being done.

Mrs. Southern said...

These cookies are great! I had one last night and can't wait to eat more! Thanks for sharing, my husband and I were trying to figure out what was in them and then we gave up and stuffed our face with cookies and milk!

Anonymous said...

Oh Yummo, I'll be copying this and putting it in my Blogland Recipe book. Thank you. In facy I'm going to add myself to your followers, I don't want to miss anything. :)

Hugs,
Chris

Unknown said...

OHH i feel the fat cells multiplying! YUM!TFS

Brandy said...

Ahhhhhhh chocolate and peanut butter. My favorite combination. Yes, I lick the spoon, beaters, bowl and anything else that has touched the dough. Then I laugh in the egg's face as I do it. NOTHING will keep me from cookie dough. Nothing.

I have a white Kitchenaid but I'd love a red one too since my kitchen is red. Although I'd take any color if it were free and then just repaint my kitchen. I mean the 5 coats of read were sooo much fun putting up. Not!

Brandy said...

I just checked out your menu for the week...can I come eat at your house?

Jen said...

hayden and I made cookies yesterday. I would call them my siganture cookie but you will have to wait for the post to see what they are.
Your one the other hand look delightful. I want to reach into the screen and take a handful.

Skeller said...

Firstly - gorgeous pics. I totally thought I was at P-Dub's site ;-)

Secondly - we Kellers do indeed live on the edge and lick away...

Thirdly - these cookies look positively decadent!

Gladys said...

Those look scrumptious. I would love to make those but since the high today is suppose to be -09 I won't be venturing out to the store. Will you eat one for me? I'll even be responsible for the calories, just email them to me ok?

Anonymous said...

YUM. I just saw these at a cookie exchange, but when I brought them home someone ate them all! I didn't get a chance to taste them. Now I will know how to make them ;-)

Thanks for sharing.

KimmyJ said...

I can't believe it, but I have never done a cookie swap. I LOVE baking cookies. I am copying your recipe and I already have a sparkly RED Kitchen Aid that I smack with a big kiss every now and then because I love it so much!

jennifersusan said...

you're so much nicer than me. i am so gonna have to make these cookies. i want to lick the beaters but the kids usually beat me to it. I so need a pretty green kitchen aide. that'd be so cool!
btw..did i read right yesterday? you're watching Firefly?? We (meaning all the kids included) bought that and watched an episode a night and loved it. I'm ready to watch it all over again.

Brian and Staci said...

Oh yea! We are soooo making some of these over Christmas break :) It will be Brian's new favorite. He can't ever get enough PB and chocolate :)

Brian and Staci said...

Oops! Forgot to answer your questions :) Not really, I love all cookies! We made some Play-Doh cookies back in the Summer (got the recipe from Little Momma!) and now everyone requests it...so those I guess?? Did a cookie swap a couple of years ago...was really fun and yummy! Absolutely I eat the cookie dough :) And I'm still alive :) I have a KitchenAid...it's one of the originals before they got all cool with the colors. But mine is white with red on it :) Would love a lime green one or a red one!

Decor To Adore said...

Oh yum! I need to start my baking.

Jennifer P. said...

You and Elena are KILLING ME!!! Killing me I tell ya! All this p.b. and chocolate goodness! I'm trying to limit myself to ONE treat a day....I"m failing miserably :). Lucky cookie exchange lady to get you!

Firefly Mom said...

Oh, yummy! We have a major problem with baking cookies at our house. Mainly, that the kid and I prefer to eat the dough. So when we make a batch of cookies, hubby complains that there's only a dozen or so that actually get baked. But, truthfully, he should be happy he gets *that* many!

Tiffany said...

Hey Kat,

These cookies do look wonderful! My mouth is watering.

Is the posted recipe already doubled?

And no, I don't have a sig cookie. I've tried a couple different ones but never been pleased enough to claim it permanently as my signature cookie.

Kristin said...

They look delicious! If only I wasn't too lazy to try some baking this year!

Michelle said...

I don't know where you found the cookie swap, but what a great idea! And this is one of the few times that I actually wish I liked peanut butter. Bummer!

So yes, I have a favorite cookie. It was my chocolate orange shortbread (my own recipe -- see my blog somewhere for it) cookie, but I've started making a verison of Karen's cherry cookies that I now call cherry brownie cakes that are DE-lish!

I had a cookie swap scheduled - my first ever -- for this past Saturday. Needless to say, it was canceled. But I'm definitely doing one next year!

I like the cookie dough, and so do the wee ones. We have to make sure we made it right! They irradiate eggs, salmonella risk is minimal. Besides, I have to keep my immune system strong somehow, right?

I want a new silver one. Or purple if they made it (they don't). Or white. I just want a new one since mine makes smoky type smells whenever I use it :)

Finding Normal said...

Oh yum! I make something similar. Only easier. Buy the dough. Cut it into chunks, and put in mini-muffin tins. Bake for 6 minutes while you unwrap the cups. Smoosh a cup into the cookie and cool.
Go to pioneerwoman if you need a visual. :)
I do eat the dough. I don't have the counter space to covet a KitchenAid. :/

Mama Dawg said...

Those look delish!

Nope, no sig cookie for me. I'm not a huge cookie fan.

Never done a cookie swap.

Uh, heck to the yeah! I always lick the cookie dough!

Red, what other color Kitchen Aid is there?

Lula! said...

I eat cookie dough. I make it to eat, that is...that dough never feels the heat of the oven...only the heat of my stomach. Yep.

I make Oreo balls...does that count for my signature cookie????

Never done a cookie swap. And I have a Kitchen-Aid mixer...it's graphite gray. It was my very first Mother's Day present. I love it in a very big way.

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

We're having a cookie swap at work on Friday and I believe I just might have to make these peanut butter cup cookies.

The Joye of Teaching said...

YUMMO!!!! I want to eat these. I was hoping for a crazy messy face pic at the end hehehehe

Wep said...

WOW those look SOOO good!!!

Rhea said...

BTW, Love your new profile picture! It's great.

ChicagoLady said...

Oh my, I should not have read this and looked at all those delicious cookies without eating dinner first!

Trish said...

umm hello deliciousness~~

my signature cookie has got to be the super yummy and deliciously perfect snickerdoodle that I make.
although I always get great reviews for my choc. chip cookies, but I can't claim those as mine because I use the recipe right off the Toll House bag!

Lick the spoon. absolutely, and the bowl and the beeters and then sometimes i dip them back in and lick again!

I have a white kitchen aid, wish i had a red or orange one. But I do love mine!

Carrie said...

Yummm...

My shrinking fat cells are screaming for these right now!

My awesome hubby bought me a Kitchen Aid about 8 years ago and it still works just as good as it did on day one! Mine is white, but I'd trade it in for a lime green one if I didn't have to pay an upgrade fee! Otherwise, the white one is classic and lovely!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Your cookies look delicious. Thanks for sharing. I wish I could reach in and take on. I will have to try that recipe. Have a Merry Christmas!

Jen

honeysuckle said...

Those cookies do look good and sinful! I will be making spritz Christmas tree cookies tomorrow with my granddaughter. I have a yellow KitchenAid which danced off my counter right after I got it (I was kneading bread dough and not watching it) and so the beaters are a little crooked and hit the bowl as it goes around.(Very annoying) It needs to be replaced but I'm dragging my feet. Thanks for your recipe.

sassy stephanie said...

Thanks Kat. I am drooling so hard I think I shorted out my keyboa slldfl l lds zzzzz

Anonymous said...

These look amazing, I am definitely going to give them a try!