Wednesday, July 9, 2008

In the Kitchen with Kat: Sausage Pinwheels

I was roasting in the sun...so I came inside for some wonderful a/c. A little peace and quiet. And some blogging time. And I look over at my live feed...and see that I have had a bunch of hits from a site called "Start cooking." What is up with that? So...I click over to see what this site is all about...and today's post is 35 ways to cook with sausage. And there I am. Number 7. And my delish sausage muffins.


I had no idea anyone was coming over for muffins. I would have let them know that I had gone to the beach. And I haven't put on make up or blown my hair dry in days. I might have even wiped the cracker crumbs from my counters. And then I remembered. I have yet another recipe I can post. Sausage seems to be a theme in my recipes. I even created an index right below my menu section. Just in case you might want to make Oriental Salad. Or have some strawberry shortcakes for dessert. Or check out my other sausage main dish: grits casserole.
And in honor of "start cooking"...here is yet another easy,yummy sausage recipe.

Look. This is all you need. Can't get much better than just two ingredients.
I like to use the Turkey sausage. It has a really nice, mild flavor. Feel free to change this to whatever sausage you prefer.

Open one of your cans of crescent rolls and lay them on your cookie sheet. Press all the perforations together. Lots of finger prints make it taste better.Next, take half the sausage and spread it over the crescent rolls. How easy is that? You don't even have to brown that sausage!Then roll it up.And it will look like this when you are done.Next, all you have to do is to slice up the roll. How thick is up to you.How about this thick?
When you are done slicing...your cookie sheet will look like this:
Pretty, pretty. Just follow the directions on the crescent rolls. You might need to add a few more minutes. Cook until the crescent rolls are brown and beautiful.Now, you have to tell people that these are sausage pinwheels. I have put them out at a brunch before and people didn't realize that was sausage in there. Someone even told me that she didn't get any because she thought it was cinnamon rolls. Do they look like cinammon to you?
Whatever they look like...they taste yummy. Perfection!

Here is the simple recipe:
2 packages of crescent rolls
1 pound package of turkey sausage.
Open one of the crescent rolls.
Smooth out perforations.
Spread half of sausage over the dough.
From the long side, roll the dough into a log.
Slice.
Bake according to crescent roll directions. Might need to add a little extra time.
Repeat with remaining sausage and crescent roll dough.
Enjoy!

post signature

17 comments:

Rhea said...

That looks so fabulously yummy and creative!! From a distance or just a quick glance, I would think it was cinnamon also, but up close, no way.

I love how simple and easy this recipe is!! Awesome. My kids might really like this and the hubby too.

Rhea said...

Oh, yeah, how could I forget...


You are the SAUSAGE QUEEN!!

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Rhea--It is an easy recipe. And really yummy. I am the sausage queen. Unfortunately I seemed to miss my coronation...

The Joye of Teaching said...

So easy, yet so yummy looking. I am oo making these. A new TWIST on sausage! awwww sorry no new 6th graders yet to punish with my puns, so you get it!

Teri said...

Oh yeah, that looks really, really good. I think I will try that tomorrow. We had the Oriental Chicken Salad this evening. Loved it. And I am quite impressed that you are cooking on vacation. What's up with that???

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Joye--You are so pfunny :-) You really have to think quickly to deliver a pun. My brain just does not work like that. So, you are welcome to continue to "pun"ish me...And you'll have to let me know if you make the pinwheels. I am always curious to see if anyone actually makes my recipes. But obviously, someone thinks they are worthy since they are on a cooking website!

Teri--I took the pictures of making these at home - not at the beach. I just hadn't posted yet. Kinda like the salad pictures that I took at the beginning of May, but waited until July to post. But, I actually have cooked. I made Pioneer Woman's brisket yesterday. It's the best brisket recipe *evah!* And tonight I baked chicken. I have stuff for two more meals. And I do have the ingredients to make these pinwheels, too.

Jess NBP said...

yummy i'll be adding this to my cooking blog!!! thanks.

Unknown said...

Those look really yummy. They'd be perfect for sticking in front of the men while they're watching the football...

I make sausage rolls, have you ever tried them? Basically, they are a savoury sausage mixture that's encased in flakey pastry...think you guys call it puff pastry.

Heather said...

What a great recipe!! It's like a whole breakfast in one bite!!

Angie's Spot said...

Ok, they do KINDA look like cinnamon rolls, but I'm sure it's just my screen. Cooking doesn't get any easier than this recipe. Thanks for a low-maintenance recipe!

Anonymous said...

I am SO gonna try these! Not only do they look cute, but I hear they're only 1 calorie a serving. RIGHT?

Lula! said...

This is so my kind of thing. I have a friend here who makes these AND puts a thin layer of CREAM CHEESE on top of the sausage. I tell you...that's almost more than this gal can take.

Brandy said...

How simple can this be??? I love it! And I just happen to be going to a potluck this weekend...sausage pinwheels anyone?!

BTW, I'm completely jealous that you are in heaven and I am not.

Thanks!

Brandy
http://imnotyouraveragesoccermom.blogspot.com

KimmyJ said...

Great recipe!

Elena said...

Great idea for a brunch!

Anonymous said...

Those look scrumptious! I'll bet the captain will enjoy them. I'll let ya know.

Kim said...

Just wanted to add that my favorite thing you make is the onion mayo dip that is too die for. You should post this recipe with the how to. It is not great for date nights but still...