Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Katie Cooks: Eclair cake edition

Time's up on the contest. The winner is posted in the previous post - you all might want to console (or celebrate as the case may be) yourselves with some dessert. A very yummy dessert. And yes, Sissy, you can make it diet friendly. And it still tastes really good. My kids start foaming at the mouth when they find this dessert in the fridge. And the exultations that arose when they found out I made one for their teacher...and one for us...but forgot to take pictures...so it meant yet another eclair cake (or Claire cake according to my girls) to make...well, my ears are still recovering from the high decibel squeals.

Here is what you need:

(Have ya'll noticed that there is a 2lt of Coke Zero in every recipe picture? Still don't need it for the recipe. Unless you'd like to drink it while you put the eclair cake together.)

Just measure out the milk:

(do you all do this with your arms when you measure?)

Add the pudding. I like to use French Vanilla. It just looks prettier. You can use whatever kind you want:

And then the cool whip:

The recipe does not work if you leave out the cool whip. Well, I take that back, it is still yummy. But you wouldn't want anyone outside of your family to have any. It kinda gets soggy and goopy...and does not stay in layers. Not that I have ever done that before. No, not me. I never forget ingredients.

Stir it until it becomes thick.

Add a layer of graham crackers to the bottom of your dish:

You might feel the need to eat some of those graham crackers. Go ahead. You'll have enough.



Add a layer of pudding:

Ummm...no pictures here. I'm thinking that the bowl was too heavy for Katie to pour out the first layers. Kinda hard to pour pudding and take pictures. I'm just not that good.

And then another layer of grahams. And another layer of pudding. And another layer of grahams.Frost the top. If you stick the frosting in the microwave for about 30 seconds, pouring it is a dream.

Yum!

Be sure to lick the spoon. It's a rule.

Here is our simple recipe:

2 3.5oz packages of instant vanilla pudding (you can use fat free sugar free if you want)

8oz container of cool whip, thawed (cool whip free works!)

3 cups of milk (see...skim is what we use)

1 package of graham crackers (fat free ones might taste like cardboard straight out of the box, but they work nicely in a recipe)

1 can of chocolate frosting (I actually saw some low sugar ones at the store this week. Never tried them, though)

Blend pudding, milk and cool whip

Arrange one layer of graham crackers in the bottom of a 9x13 pan

Spread 1/2 pudding mixture over crackers

Top with another layer of crackers and then the remaining pudding.

Add one more layer of graham crackers

Melt frosting in the microwave and spread over the top.

Chill in fridge. Best made the day before.

post signature

15 comments:

Tiffany said...

Looks DELICIOUS! I just tagged you, so get posting!

Acrimony said...

You're the 2nd blog in 2 days to post a yummy dessert recipe. What is it with you people?! I'm trying to lose weight here! =-P

I bet my kids will like that, luckily for my waistline, there's no room in the fridge to make it for a while as I just did a huge grocery trip today.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Mrs. Romero--Did I just invite myself to that tag or what? Thanks for adding me...I'll work it into my busy schedule. *snort*

Talisman--it is yummy...but you can make it waistline friendly...really! You need to email me so that I can get your prize to you!

Angie's Spot said...

Wow, thanks for that delicious recipe! Maybe that will be my congratulatory dessert if I win my biggest loser contest on Friday. Cross your fingers!

Dancing Queen said...

Wow! Does that look soooo good! My hubby loves eclairs so we will definitely have to try this!

My kids love to cook & help in the kitchen too!

Sissy said...

My MIL makes this all the time, and you know, it actually isn't my favorite. Ahhh, a dessert I can resist! I am in trouble though, if it is ThinMint Limited Edition Ice Cream, like I have calling my name from the freezer. Nononononono!

John Deere Mom said...

That looks delicious...but does the recipe include that ever-helpful daughter of yours? Because if not...it's never gonna get made around here.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Angie-- Good luck in your contest. And this dessert can be made lite, so it won't mess ya up.

DQ--This is a really easy one for the kids help with. You'll have to make it for your hubby and see which he prefers - this or a "real" eclair.

Sissy--isn't it exciting to find a dessert you can resist? For me, it's cheesecake. Don't like it one bit...not that I can't find a dozen other things just as bad for me. Like thin mint cookies in their convenient 2 servings per box :-)

Angie--Ummm...I'm happy to hand her over anytime :-)

Debbie said...

That looks scrumptious and fun to make. I think we will be trying that one soon..my son is really into "helping" me in the kitchen. Tonight he asked to help cook dinner, I told him to help turn on the oven because Mommy was making her specialty. Leftovers.

Rhea said...

That looks SO yummy!! I love seeing Katie cook. She has great smiles when she's eating a cracker and licking the spoon. lol This recipe looks dangerous...but YUMMY! Thanks for sharing!

And, congrats on the giveaway being such a success! Yay, Talisman!!

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Debbie--this is a great recipe to get some help with. Or the bean dip one would be easy, too. I like your specialty. My mom's is reservations :-)

Rhea--It's not dangerous at all. When I was on Weight Watchers (like I need to be doing now. But am not), it was only 4 points...I can't recall the fraction of the cake though - either 1/12 or 1/16. Katie does love to be featured :-)

Anonymous said...

I do D'eclaire...I'd like to dive into that scrumptious looking dessert!! I love these posts!! ~Jill :)

Angela said...

What a yummy dessert ! I am going to make this tonight!

Nissa said...

Oh man, that looks good! I think we'll have to try that recipe out. Thanks for contributing to my thunder thighs! haha

Unknown said...

Oh why did I have to see this ??? Especially since I think I have all the ingredients, but I forgot to buy cereal and berries yesterday !!!