Saturday, May 10, 2008

In the Kitchen with Kat: Sausage muffins

I don't always hand over cooking duties to my daughter. I actually do cook. It's my one domestic talent. Okay, ability. I not sure how I learned to cook. I didn't cook growing up. Except once, as a latch-key kid, I was asked to put a ham in the oven. No one mentioned that I had to take the plastic off of it. An illustrious beginning. My father was the cook in the family. My mom didn't go into the kitchen. She still does not. When we went on our cruise, the girls were worried about what she would eat without us to cook for her.


My cooking style is quite basic. I like easy. Simple. Quick. And delicious. Yummy is a requirement. I have already shared my family's favorite - grits casserole. And on those same lines, breakfast for dinner is usually on the menu each week. Because it's easy. Simple. Quick. And yummy. One of our breakfast dinners is: scrambled eggs, fruit salad, and sausage muffins.

Here is what you need (well...you really don't need the Coke Zero):

Brown the sausage:

Measure the bisquick (see...simple, quick, easy):

Add cheese soup (taking pictures while pouring and using a scraper is next to impossible. Do I need to invest in a tripod...and a remote timer?):

Add the rest of the ingredients:

And mix:

And bake:



Yum! It makes a lot. It's a great item to take to a brunch. Or have your husband make them for you for breakfast tomorrow. Heck, have your kids make 'em. Delish!

Here 's our simple recipe:

Sausage Muffins

1 pound pork sausage
1 can condensed cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
1 cup shredded cheese
2/3 cup water
3 cups bisquick

Brown the sausage and drain.
Combine soup, cheese and water.
Stir in bisquick.
Add sausage.
Mix well.
Fill greased muffin cups.

Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Makes 2 dozen. Serve warm.

post signature

8 comments:

John Deere Mom said...

Those are adorable and I will definitely be making them! Thanks for sharing. I am grilling kabobs tonight. Woo hoo!

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Angie--you are the woman. You mow the grass. Deal with snakes. AND grill?! Add that to my list of never have dones...You'll have to let me know the consensus on the muffins. They are quite the rage here. And then they fight over the leftovers at breakfast.

Rhea said...

Wow, Kat, those sausage muffins look really, really yummy! I have a feeling they might be a big hit here. I'll have to try them.

Thanks for sharing!!

Catherine said...

Hello, Kat. Now you get a french visitor (no, no, no, don't be affraid, we're not biting. Maybe, a little strange, for you sometimes) : )
I come from Rhéa. concerning one of your comment. PlEEEAASE avoid to give us some details about Lost! We've got a season of lateness compared to you. Do not unveil anything about anybody, we're having season 3 at the begining of the summer! Or do I have to put my hands on my eyes as soon as I see your comments on Rhea's blog? : )
Your recipe seems very interesting. but I think I won"t find Bisquick over there, is it a particular flour?
Have a good Mother's Day.

Catherine said...

I must add, after reading your profile, we get some common points : photography (not in a professional way, more as an admirer), cooking (but I try to stop because of the holidays coming and I don't want to look like.... on the beach, movies+Lost, ancient history, as I don't know the movie title in american, I can just tell you Some Like It Hot at your "Movies Department", REM Bowie and Queen at your "Music Department" and S. King's books at your "Books Department.
Oh! And Diet Coke to finish. Too bad we don't need Zero Coke for your recipe! And to accompany? instead of a good wine? (I hate wines)! Just a glass, tell me we can.
And I very often loose myself a comment because of this idiot verification!

Sissy said...

That recipe is not good for my diet! I love anything with sausage in it and these look wonderful! I know what you mean about the camera though...it is hard to take pictures and cook. My skillet fogged up my lens once and then I think I almost burned the chicken.

btw, I love the Children of the Lamp series!

Dancing Queen said...

OMG!!! Those look so, so yummy! I am definitely making them...I never really get to eat breakfast in the morning, but we love to have breakfast nights for dinner! They have everything I like!

Teresa said...

What a great idea! I bet my kids are gonna love this. :-)