Sunday, March 23, 2008

Georgia Aquarium

My cousin Jennifer and her daughter Liv arrived on Friday afternoon to spend Easter weekend with us. We had a great time visiting and catching up...and the girls had lots of fun playing with their cousin. She really wore out the girls who felt compelled to follow Liv wherever she went...and Liv is a busy, busy girl! Madalyn even came into the house at one point to complain that Liv would not stay with them...that she kept wandering back to the house...then back out to the swings...repeat. I told Madalyn that this is what it's like to be the big sister...and she informed us that she didn't like having a big sister...and she didn't like being the big sister. Ah...dreams of being an only child!


On Saturday, the six of us went downtown to the Georgia Aquarium. I had Michael look online to see if there were any street closings (due to the tornado that went through last weekend) - and none of the roads we would need to take were blocked. Here is a picture though of the Westin Peachtree Plaza hotel downtown - and you can see all the glass out - but on the other side - that we could see from the highway on the way in - the damage is even more apparent! Lots of roads are closed due to falling glass and the clean up process is quite extensive.

We had 9am reservations for the aquarium...and when we got there...it was empty!


We decided to go to the Whale shark exhibit first - and it was full of divers cleaning the tank. What a fun volunteer job! Saturday seemed to be the day for cleaning at the aquarium as divers were in almost all the tanks we visited. It was pretty neat going through the tunnel...but the glass really distorts the size of things in the tank. The whale sharks are about 20 feet long...and they just don't seem that big!


My favorite exhibit is the beluga whales. There was docent at this tank talking about how friendly beluga whales are - but that sperm whales can actually be quite hostile. He said that if you get a chance to swim with sperm whales, don't. Then someone asked him if the Georgia Aquarium had sperm whales. He replied that the aquarium does not because "you'd need a tank about 12,000 feet deep. Home Depot gives the aquarium a lot of money...but not that much!"
Here are some of my other favorite shots of the day:




post signature

8 comments:

Rhea said...

Oh, great pictures! Looks like you guys had a lot of fun. I'm impressed they have a whale tank at the aquarium. Our Dallas Aquarium is pretty awesome, but no whales.

Happy Easter! I noticed you weren't really "around" online, missed your presence!!

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Hey Rhea! How are you so quick to post?! We had a great time at the aquarium...and then we had more people over today...so I am trying to catch up from my weekend away from the computer...I was starting to get the shakes :-) We are going on a cruise in 2 weeks...so I'll be out of the loop for an entire week then!

Rhea said...

I just happened to get online...I've spent most the evening at my older son's baseball practice.

A cruise? How wonderful! I'm jealous. You will definitely have Internet withdrawl symptoms during that week but you should come home with lots of great blog fodder. I've started joking with my mom lately that everything is blog material.

I love spending time with family. We just had one of my older sisters visiting from the Houston area and she brought her three daughters, who are 10, 8 and 4 years old. It was so much fun! The girls are so different from my boys, and I just loved doing more girly things. I played Princess Old Maid and colored lots of Bratz and Princess pictures.

Skeller said...

Totally fun pictures! I love your family photo in front of the sharks!!

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Thanks! I thought the family picture turned out well too...hence spending $20 for the print :-) I am always a sucker for a good picture. Oh...just wait till Carnival gets a hold of us in a few weeks...

Unknown said...

I LOVE Beluga whales - they had a couple at the Minnesota Zoo when I was growing up and I just adored going to that exhibit.

Mr. B and I have decided to take the kids to the Georgia Aquarium when the kids meet each other for the first time.

Unknown said...

Awesome !!!

We have a pace that is alot like that, back in Auckland , NZ. You walk through these big tunnels and the fish swim around you. An amazing experience..

Do you think they've noticed I'm sneaking up on them yet???? :-)

Tiffany said...

We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the aquarium!