- Strawberries are the only fruit with the seeds on the outside.
- The average strawberry has 200 seeds.
- Strawberries are a member of the Rose family.
- There is a strawberry museum in Belgium.
- Strawberries are the first fruit to ripen in the Spring.
- The average Amercian consumes 3.4 pounds of fresh strawberries each year.
I am quite above average. Strawberries are my favorite. They are a great snack. Side dish. Dessert. Food to eat all the time. For me anyway. Love 'em. So...when our local strawberry fields open for picking...I'm there. We usually pick two buckets of berries...and can easily polish them off in a week...and then be back at the fields for another picking session.
On Friday, I took Katie and her friend Diana to Washington Farms to pick berries.You have to be careful when picking the berries - and be sure to not bother the flowers. They will eventually ripen into more berries. You can see the berry forming in the center of the white flower - and the berries forming in other buds in these photos.
After a little time, sun, and water...we find succulent red berries on the vine.
Folklore states that if you split a double strawberry in half, and share with a member of the opposite sex, you will soon fall in love. We found TONS of berries on the vine...and very quickly filled our buckets. It's a good thing that they didn't weigh us before and after we started picking.