Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Gimme an "O"

I love memes. They are my salvation on days like today. Or most days really. Because I always struggle to find a blog topic. I am not like my daughter. Who can be inspired by anything. Including a walk to the mailbox.

And then last week, I found a great one over at Aubrey's blog. She made a list of ten of her favorite things. But there was a twist. She was assigned the letter "I" for her list. And I was so impressed that she came up with 10 "I" words. But my favorite - ice from Sonic. Oh how I love my Sonic pellet ice. Why can't my Frigidaire make pellet ice?

Anyway...I told Audrey to sign me up. And send me a letter. So, what did she send me? The letter "O."

1. Uh-oh. What does it mean when my first thoughts are firmly entrenched in the gutter. Because there is the BIG O! and ORGAN and ORAL and OBSCENE. And if we are here. Why not add ORGY to the list. Do you think that Julie Andrews will sing a song about my favorite "O" things?

Well, once one's mind is there. It's hard to progress. Because I cannot think of other O words. That could possibly be construed as favorites. I brainstormed. And came up with nothing. Unless you want to count: Outer Mongolia. As opposed to Inner Mongolia. Opium. Opiates. Operation. Opossum. Oprah. Followed quickly by Offensive. Oh...this is not going well.

There is old. Oysters. Ointment. Oil. Obituary. Ogre. Owls. Well. Those might be one of my favorites. Since they eat the evil squirrels in my yard. But the owls have flown away. And I am overrun with squirrels. So. No owls on my favorites list.

What about ogres? Oatmeal. Obscure. Oars. Onions. Obtuse. Ostentatious. Octopus. Octogon.

Okay...I think I have uncluttered my mind. And I might be able to get on track now.

2. ORVILLE Redenbaker microwave popcorn. Yum. Such a good snack. Especially for me. With my love of salt. And crunch. What would we do without Orville. Or the microwave.

3. And now that we have had our snack of popcorn. We really need to balance out that salt with some sugar. And OREOS are just the ticket. One of the simplest of cookies. But oh, so delish. And then at Christmas time. You can find the chocolate covered variety in the stores. And I am still kicking myself for not getting the OREOS of doom at the county fair.

4. How about something healthy? I love ORANGES. Especially clementines. I love ORANGE hard candy. ORANGE life savers. ORANGE starburst. ORANGE and citrus scents. But ORANGE circus peanuts. No thanks. I'll be sure to pass all of those along to Jennifer P. Who thinks that they are a great breakfast food item.

5. And speaking of food. I love to cook. And to use my OVEN. What I'd really love. Is a double oven. Or having Clive OWEN help me in the kitchen. Yeah. That would work, too.

6. Oh. And there is the OCEAN. I love the clear water of the Caribbean. Snorkeling. Swimming. Or the OCEAN at St. George Island. The crash of the waves. The scent of salt in the air. And the sand between my toes. It makes me feel all peaceful. Calm. And happy inside.

7. And while we are at the beach. We could read some books. And one of my favorite series is OUTLANDER by Diana Gabaldon. It was recommended to me by someone in my book club. And it was my first foray into the kingdom of smutty books.

8. And after we have had enough sun. And we venture inside. Let's put in one of my very favorite movies. "O Brother, Where art Thou?" This is a brilliant Coen brothers comedy. And I love homage to Homer's "Odyssey." Love the sepia tones of it. The names. The actors. And then really. What's not to love about George Clooney?

9. And this list would not be complete without mentioning my OFFSPRING. My whirly-girlies. Who make me laugh. Make me proud. And make me want to pull all my hair out.

10. And then. There is you. All of my ONLINE friends. Who I have loved meeting in "real" life. And I can't wait to meet more of you. Ya'll are my sanity. And my OUTLET.

So...what about you? Are you a fan of pellet ice? What are your favorite things that start with "O?" Do you wanna play too? If so, just let me know, and I'll give you a letter!

Have you entered the weekly winners contest yet? You can win a favicon and some Mommy "bidness" cards.

post signature

Theme song: Finger Eleven - ONE thing. And if you hang out for a while. You can also hear REM's ORANGE crush; U2's ONE; Bare Naked Ladies' ONE Week; and some songs from the O Brother soundtrack.

47 comments:

Shannon said...

This will be my post for tomorrow! You'll have to wait to see what letter Aub chose for me...

but your post is so much better than mine... pictures, too. This is why you are legendary.

Clive Owen in the kitchen would be a very good thing, indeed.

Shannon said...

And I'm rockin' out to today's theme songs... love them all. 'Specially Bare Naked Ladies. And the Soggy Bottom Boys.

Shannon said...

Ok, I'm really not starting another comment war... I just keep forgetting things I wanted to say!


Alison Kraus... love her voice.

I've never read Outlander... but I think I read comments between you and Heather about Gerard Butler and that book (???) and I'm intrigued. Anything concerning Gerard Butler intrigues me, you know.

I Love Purple More Than You said...

That picture of the girl with the stack of oreos in her mouth? I wanna try that! And I totally had the deep fried oreos at our fair. DIVINE.

Tam said...

O O O AND YA for O but OUTLANDER..
O HOW I HEART OUTLANDER! Jamie for me is like Edward is for Lula and the masses. O Jamie!

Great O MEME!

Rhea said...

You did a VERY good job with the letter "O"! I love the way you uncluttered your mind first though. hehe

Offspring, Ocean, Online friends. All fabulous stuff.

And yes, I like pellet ice.

Kori said...

OOOO we have pellet ice here at the hospital in the cafeteria. I love it and it helps that it is readily available at all times.

I also love O Brother where art thou. Hilarious.

I wanna play. I really do. Please don't give me a hard letter like X or something.

And I so love the fact that you posted the pic of us and my Hero holding my hand. Awww Online buds are the greatest.

Love those girls of yours too.

Linda said...

OMG ... Love the Outlander series. I read them all one summer and don't think I bothered to feed my family until I completed the entire series.

I would love to do a favorite things all with one letter post. Send me a letter and I'll see what I can do!

Brandy said...

I wanna play. But not with the letter "O" cause you've used all the Obvious words. Hardy har har.

George Clooney is hot. Why is that men are distinguished with gray hair and women are old? Ugh. That reminds me I need to color my hair.

Swirl Girl said...

I just love you Kat - you can add 'organized' and 'original' to your list of YOU!

Jane In The Jungle said...

Hey I'm game to play. I've never memed and am not real sure what that is, but I'm always up for something new!!

SuZ said...

What a great idea!!

Sugar said...

assign me a letter! i deserve it, after being the best guest blogger at BATW!

sassy stephanie said...

Great "o" meme. Love me some oreos. Wish I could eat a stack that big without any worries!

Mama Dawg said...

I love the group Offspring.

And ovals (when it comes to the shape of jewelry).

I love watching the Oscars.

That's it. I'm tapped.

AngiDe said...

LOVE IT!
I wanna play!

Angie
"Nana's Box"

Unknown said...

I just can't get past those ones from #1.... that's just how I roll.....

Jen said...

You did so great with that. I don't think that I would have been able to come up with that much 'O' stuff.
And I have no idea what pellet ice is.

larkswing said...

Great List! The Big O cracks me up. I instantly think of the Overstock.com's commercial the last two years. O,O,O the big big O!

Oh well!

:)

lynette355 said...

OUTRAGEOUS, ONE OPPORTUNISTIC ORATORY ON O'S.
LOL I loved your O post.
May I have a letter pretty please.

jori-o said...

Wow! I'm impressed you did such a thorough O post!! I too am a HUGE fan of Sonic ice and O Brother Where Art Thou is in my personal top 10. (Do NOT seek the TRAY-sure!!)

jori-o said...

Oh! And "We thought you was a toad!"

Michelle said...

Oooo, O. That IS a hard one. I'm impressed you got some. And Orville was totally inspired. I LOVE me some popcorn although geeky me likes to do it the old-fashioned way on the stove in a metal bowl with a tiny bit of oil. Now I have a taste for it. Dinner maybe?

BUT I have an objection to your classification of Outlander. I adore that series (or did the first three books anyway, they weren't as great after that but I still read them!). Smut though? Really? C'mon they were only placed in that categorization (Romance) because it's the top selling genre and the publisher figured it was a good way to sell more books! I love me some good historical fiction. Have you read any Sharon Kay Penman?

Teri said...

Oh, let me ogle this post olot lOnger. Okay, weird, I know. I like orange juice (with vOdka). Oh yes I do.

And I recognize that #9 picture. What an excellent shot that is. I'm sure the photographer is a genious. And really very modest.

NicciN said...

I'd love to play. Please send me a letter.

jen said...

my mouth is watering at the thought of pellet ice. i had no idea that sonic had it. i must find a sonic. it was the only thing i craved while being pregnant last time. delicious.
and...
please send me a letter ... i'm in desperate need for something blog worthy.

Heather said...

Oh, yeah, I wanna play. Vanna, give me a letter!

I love the ice at our hospital; I guess it's pellet ice...I'm not sure. Gee, I have to agree with The Outlander books being a favorite; it's fun to play with Ouija boards (or to freak your teeny-bopper hopelessly-easy-to-fool friends right out); and now my mind is totally in the gutter and can think of nothing else appropriate to write.

Elena said...

All GREAT!! Who knew O could be such a fulfilling letter? This is too fun. Give me a letter, I want to play. And the other night at Twilight we were talking about if Edward beat Jamie or vice versa. We got yet another girl convinced to read Outlander. And Sonic pellet ice....mmmmm...THE best in the world.

The Joye of Teaching said...

My fav is the white oreos. :) Gimme a letter, please!

Twisted Fencepost said...

Yes, I love pellet ice. Wish my fridge made it too!
O...
Orange.
My favorite color!
I love the orange in your sunset picture!

Kathi Roach said...

I love this post!!! You did a great job with it. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the white chocolate covered oreos too!!! They are to die for. I always think of really stocking up...but never do.
O Brother where Art thou?? Hilarious!!!

Trish said...

Love the O's!!

I wanna play along!! Send me a letter.

And what is this that I am seeing hints about Ida-ho? That is not far from me you know.............

Susie said...

Great list. I would add Oprah:-)

Skeller said...

Kat -
You make lists with such aplomb! You and writing is like a hand and glove...
As for me and "o" favorites, I'd have to go with the first "o" that you delicately (or not so...) tip-toed around.
Happy Tuesday night.
I've got to stop procrastinating and put together my firstborn's bday post.

ChicagoLady said...

Oh my, I was laughing so hard as you were working through all those O words. Then you got to the Oreos, and it just so happens, I bought a package of them tonight at the store. I only bought them because there weren't any Jingles.

Unknown said...

You did so well with that list! I would have sat there with my mouth in a big O and not thought of any of those cool things. I'm horrible when my kids come to me with homework that requires lists of words that have certain letter combinations in the middle. I blank out. However, I would LOVE to play along. I know you've gotten a lot of letter requests, but I'd love one, too!

Jo-Jo said...

"O" my gosh! Great O's!

Lula! said...

OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH how I loved this.

I love cheating, too.

But I do not love that photo of me. Wow, so glad I got my hair cut. I love that Kori and Katie are holding hands, though. I wanna hold Katie's hand now, too...just to even things out.

MsTypo said...

"Gimmie an O!" *giggle* What a fabulous list! :) I'm a huge outlander fan!

Anonymous said...

Whoo hoo! George Clooney!!!! I was a bit disappointed he wasn't included in the 'scruffy men' post, but you've redeemed yourself!

Unknown said...

I'll take a letter if your still offering. Everyone's gonna post about thanksgiving tomorrow so I'll need something good to say!

Aubrey said...

Oh! That was tOO gOOd! You crack me up Kat! LOL
I'm wondering why Ovaries or Ovulation weren't included???

Handsome's wife said...

I wanna play!
Send me a letter please.

lynette355 said...

Righty-O

Here is my response

http://theysayimnuts.blogspot.com/2008/11/it-is-all-in-r.html

Rosemary Q said...

You don't know how much it thrills me to know that you love Outlander enough to post it on your blog. No other series of books has changed my life more than those have. Diana Gabaldon is genius. Jamie is to die for and Roger too...sigh...

NicciN said...

I just posted my 10 favorite things that start with V on my blog.

http://yertle.blogspot.com/2008/11/gimme-v.html

lynn said...

Very creative. I would have never come up with offspring!