I loved reading all your entries. About who you would take on a date. And what you might see. And about how so many of you haven't been on a date in years. And I really hope that you all can find a way to escape for an evening. For an hour even. Because for right now, you are just going to have to be jealous of Debbie over at Finding Normal. Who is the winner of the gift card for dinner and a movie. And a copy of "Love Actually." And our second copy of "Love Actually" goes to Shalee over at Sometimes it's Good to be Speechless. Congrats ladies! Email me with your addresses and I'll get your prizes right out to you.
Now that you have had a night out on the town. Or not as the case appears to be. This week's weekend winner prize centers around having family night.
One of my favorite kinds of family night is game night. We like to play cards. Board games like Monopoly. Life. Trivial pursuit. And then even games like Mah-jong. Which can be enjoyed by people other than those at the Jewish retirement home.
But one of my favorite games is Blokus.It's a challenge. It makes you think. And yet it can be played by your entire family.
Another option for family night is to do a read aloud. I have friends who did the entire Harry Potter series this way. Read together. As a family. My voice doesn't always hold out - and a lot of times we opt for the audio version. But storytelling is a great way to spend an evening. And one of my very favorite books is just the ticket. It's a tale that will be loved by boys, girls, and grown-ups alike. It's adventure on the high seas. Vikings. Trolls. Magic. And a wonderful way to spend an evening.And then one of the easiest and best ways to spend a family night is to watch a movie. And I cannot think of better movies than these two 80's classics:And if you already have the Princess Bride movie - you MUST read the book by William Goldman. It is wonderful! The movie is a faithful adaptation - but the book goes into more details and there are a few more adventures.
And what is a family night without snacks? You need some popcorn. Some candy. And even some Hot chocolate.To summarize: This week's weekend winner prize pack includes: Blokus, The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer, dvds of "The Goonies" and "The Princess Bride," and snacks.
Worth playing for? Here is what you need to do:
1. Post a comment here. Do you do family nights? Do you have a favorite game? Family movie? Book that would be a good read aloud?
2. For another entry...follow me. If you already follow me, you also get an extra entry. Be sure to come back and leave another comment saying that you are a follower!
3. Blog about this week's contest.
4. When you comment you get an entry. When you follow, come back and leave another comment saying you follow me. If you are already a follower, post another comment saying that you are already a
stalker follower. When you post about it...come back and leave a third comment saying you did it. Then I can truly use random number generator and I won't have to type in all those names!
5. Contest ends Friday (Jan 2nd) at midnight. Winners have one week to email me to claim prizes. All unclaimed prizes will be added back into the pot. Winner will be announced next Saturday. Along with the final week of prizes!
Theme song: REM - "Man on the Moon." Because "and the Game of Life yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah...Monopoly, twenty-one, Checkers and Chess...Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah...Let's play twister, let's play risk...Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah..." And I thank you for playing my "game" every weekend!