Monday, March 3, 2008

What's on your Desk?

I have been tagged by my daughter over at "I Like Pi". I have seen lots of memes on other blogs. I even had to look the word up on wikipedia - not that it gave me a helpful definition. I would define "meme" more along the lines of a theme...or a task "assigned" to one by other bloggers. And my meme is to answer the following questions:

"What's on your desk? You can tell a lot about a person by the state of their desk and what they keep on it. So, share what's on your desk. You can take pictures, take an inventory, or do both. Don't have a desk? That's okay, just give us a glimpse into the space where you pay bills, write letters, grade papers, study, or work on the computer.When you've finished your photos or inventory, post it on your blog and tag five more people to do the same. Don't forget to share the rules with those you tag and ask them to share their posts with you when they are done."

Okay. I sort of have two "desks." One is in the basement school room...

It has the "big" computer, my printer, comfy desk chair, and LOTS of other peoples things. That drives me nuts! My kids and my husband have taken over my desk. Katie does her school work here as well...and if I am not sitting in my chair...she is. She likes to do her school work on my side of the desk, not hers.
When I came down to the basement to take these pictures, she finally moved over to her side of the desk! After looking at these pictures (and the similar ones posted on her website)...we really have a big expanse of wall there! I am thinking that when we start History over next year, we'll put up our time line there. Or maybe I'll hang a bulletin board...or a huge dry erase board...or something (oh...honey...I am thinking of things to add to your "honey-do" list!).

One of the reasons that my desk is in the basement (besides the fact that there is really no where else for it to be) - is that I was a Creative Memories consultant. The basement would have been a perfect place for me to host crops. Except that I decided to retire last fall after 9 years. And...I still have product left! (anyone need some supplies?)

One of my favorite things about my office (okay...it's not my desk...but we are covering the general area...and none of this is really my office anyway...remember it's been taken over and I have been deported) is my Ikea book shelves. I love the way they hug the corner! When we bought them at Ikea last summer...I had not measured at home. Ummm...if you are purchasing things for a basement, it's always a good idea to measure! When we got home I remembered. We looked at the box...and it's 79 1/2 inches. We measure the wall...79 3/4 inches. Hallelujah! So Michael puts the shelves together...and they have to be connected because of the corner unit...so he has to do this outside of the area so he can see the top of them! Then...he could not slide them into place because the ceiling is not even/level! Thank goodness he is an engineer...and it all worked out! We use these corner book cases to hold all our homeschool stuff...all our text books...library books...educational books...microscope...paper...whatever we have or need is there.

Yet another look at my desk. I will sigh and say "good-bye" as I realize that this is truly not my desk.

The above is a closer approximation of my desk. My laptop at the dining room table. If I get tired of sitting there...I can just unplug and go to a recliner :-) When I need to print though...I have to cross the border and head to the basement.
And you know what is truly my desk? It's this drawer in the kitchen...not so coincedentally right above the trash can (the pull out right below my "desk")...And then all my treasures are right here...my check book...bills...stamps (not that we use those that often...or the checks either...but the check register is used a lot)...address book...paper...and notice...this is being taken over too...the coupon folder is definitely not mine (or perhaps it is there as a hint!).
So...that is the grand tour of my "desk." Hope you enjoyed the journey. The last part of the assignment is for me to tag 5 other blogs...(doing my best here as so many of you already have been tagged...or you don't do memes...or something)
and well...that is what I can come up with. If you are reading this...and haven't done so already...consider this your tag. Especially those that visit from other countries. Australia showed up this week on my cluster map - and someone on what looks like Indonesia (we have been calling it the LOST island as it's somewhere in the Pacific)...and those of you from various European countries...and what looks like one Canadian (or maybe several, but it's too hard to tell!)...Hello to you and thanks for visiting...I can't help but wonder how you stumbled here :-)

post signature

4 comments:

my5wolfcubs said...

Love all those bookshelves! I need more... Beautiful kitchen cabinets & countertops, too!
Lee

Unknown said...

Dang it - I never did make it to the basement... Oh well... I'll just have to come back!

Unknown said...

The strangest thing on my desk at the moment, are two of nmy bras. I was eading into the bedroom to put them away, a couple of days ago, and I got sidetracked by the computer!!

Tiffany said...

My desk is a complete mess. I just finished payroll so I have lots of company stuff out, the school schedule stuff is laying out, notes about field trips I want to take and/or need to call about and our weekend soccer schedules. There is a lot more here at the moment but I would have to move everything listed above to see what it all is. ugh. I really do need to clean this desk space up. But wow, what an undertaking. I hate clutter but for some reason, I can't seem to keep this area clutter free.