Monday, June 23, 2008

More Notes from a Large State

Our plane out of Atlanta actually left before the time noted on my ticket. Maybe they knew we were all there? So, we arrived in San Antonio about half an hour before we thought we would. It worked out well because we had plenty of time to amble along the concourse to baggage claim. Isn’t that what you are supposed to do in Texas? Amble along? Oh, that reminds me of a good Dubya quote: “Some folks look at me and see a certain swagger, which in Texas is called ‘walking.’”

The girls could not believe how close baggage claim was. Or that we did not need to take a train to reach it. And they could not believe how long we had to wait for our bags. And wait some more. And then the bags started showing up on the conveyor belt. But not our bags. And then the belt broke. And we had to go to another part of baggage claim to find our bags. And wait some more. But I am pure genius when it comes to bags. As all our bags are pink. The pretty pink ones in that sea of black suitcases. They were easy to find…when they showed up. And we went outside to wait for Cindy to pick us up.

When we got to her house, first thing we had to do was re-introduce the kids. The last time my two girls saw Cindy’s two girls was about 4 years ago. They all hit it off famously. They spent the week making movies on the Play station 3; indoctrinating sharing the Nintendo DS; swimming; eating (I swear, I am raising a pair of teenage boys rather than tween girls); playing with kitties; and just some general mayhem (as opposed to specific mayhem).

We set the tone for the week quickly by making brownies on Saturday afternoon. The girls immediately got silly and pretended to put goldfish in the mix.

(Cindy's daughter Caroline and Katie)

I think everyone had a turn to stir.

(Cindy Sue)

And demand to lick the bowl. You say brownie, I say salmonella.


We made éclair cake one day. We made Schwan’s Monster cookies another day. (Do ya’ll order from Schwan’s? I’m feelin’ kinda strange in wanting to put together an order of cookies and ice cream!) And we even talked about driving three hours to go on the Blue Bell ice cream tour. Notice, we just talked about it. Thought about it. I think we were intoxicated by all the sugar we had been consuming. Someone said “ice cream” and we were ready to sign up. But, the sugar rush soon passed, and reason returned. So, instead, we went to Cindy’s parent’s house and ate their ice cream.

(Ashley and her mint chocolate chip)

(Ooops. Madalyn got a brain freeze)

We spent quite a few mornings at the pool. With Cindy and I trying to keep cool and the girlies playing games. Mine introduced Caroline and Ashley into all sorts of pool games. And games they play in the car that they somehow adapted for the pool. And then there is the requisite game of carry your sister on your back. One of the highlights of the week for the girls was playing with the cats. Cindy – who is allergic – and who was never a fan of cats – has found herself the proud “owner” of three kitties.And…during our visit we were house sitting for one of Cindy’s neighbors – so the girls had another set of three cats to play with. Oh…and a dog at each house. Now, we do have a cat at our house. But it’s my mom’s cat. And he is afraid of everyone. Except my mom. You’d think after living with my girls for 8 years, he’d be used to them. The novelty is that these Texas cats are friendly. And like to be petted. And played with. (See one of our cute pink bags?)

And then…to cap it all off…when we got home, my mom said that her cat is lonely. Which my selective hearing children heard from two stories away…and came bounding into the room to know when we were going to get two new kittens…and launched themselves into huge discussion on possible names depending on the coloring of said kitten. Ummm. Hello. Tap, tap. Is this thing on? Did I say we were getting a new kitten? Much less two?! I think I need some peanut m&ms.

Tune in next time for our field trip and a short adventure with Johnny Depp…

post signature

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are TOOOO funny! I love that you added the part about us touring Blue Bell in theory! that was a great almost-highlight!
where's katie in these pictures? I am soo going on a diet now!
don't forget next time to write about Ashley's pencil.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Cindy--Well, Katie is in the one picture in the pool. I am not sure how it happened that Madalyn dominated the pictures today. I can't believe I didn't get a picture of Ashley and her giant pencil. Or one of both of us!

Anonymous said...

Sounds as if you had a great time visiting your friend in Texas.
Can't wait to hear about the next adventure.

Kimba said...

Sounds like you had a great trip. Thanks for taking us along! :-)

And I don't know if I've just never had my volume turned up when I've been here before or what. But it's no wonder I like you! You have great tast in music! BNL is one of my all-time faves!

GBK Gwyneth said...

Good times. But as for kitties being Texas-friendly, my parents' cats run and hide when they see us coming. Too much action for them.

Rhea said...

Lots of yummy, sugary goodies in this post as well as cute little girls!! I love all the animals they got to play with.

Good idea to have pink luggage. That would definitely stand out at the airport!

I am incensed that someone's trying to pass me up on the top commentor spot!! Not fair!!

Rhea said...

I can't wait to hear about your field trip and Johnny Depp experience (now I think I know what your field trip was.) hehe.

Kaza said...

I say salmonella too! (I shudder at the memory of how many beaters and bowls of raw batter and dough my mother allowed me to lick in the 70s... eeewww.) Then again, I never got sick. Hmmm....

The Joye of Teaching said...

Yeah, I have a cat that is not social. She is not a fun pet! Fun times.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Slacker--We did have a great time. And still managed to talk on the phone today for about an hour.

Kimba--Oh, I love BNL - and "one week" is my fav. I usually *attempt* to match the music to my post. But today I was kinda all over the place...and the song sorta seemed to fit.

Gwyneth--I think Cindy's cats were so friendly because they were "kid" trained from the get-go. They are used to all the action.

Rhea--Oh, yeah...there was a lot of sugar in this vacation! We are still amused at ourselves for even *considering* the drive out for the Blue Bell tour. Have you ever done it?

And you know there is a conspiracy about taking your top commenter spot? It's calculating two Angies...so you have to post twice as much to keep up! See...I'm trying to get my name back up top on your spot, too :-)

Kaza--First of all...welcome! And I licked all the batter too in my youth. And survived. Of course I am amazed that I made it through a lot of my childhood antics.

Joye--What is it with cats?! And why do I have the suspicious feeling that my mom is going to get cats for my children...

Rhea said...

I see the conspiracy!! And, I misspelled commenters. Figures. I'm the worst speller.

I've never done the Blue Bell tour. I'm sure I would LOVE it.

I hope your mom does get kittens. The girls will LOVE it and provide them tons of amusement...and make for great blog material. hehe

Rhea said...

I totally forgot, I've been meaning to ask you, do you want me to mail you the Sarah Dessen books I've been reading? I think I've got three of her books. AND, I just read a another good one, Vampire Academy. Do you want me to send them to you?

I went through a little period of buying books again (fell off the wagon) and need to get rid of the evidence. hehe I'm going back to the library again, I swear, as soon as I pay my fines....

Anonymous said...

hmmm. Kat will have to tell about our shopping trip at B&N. a few books might've been purchased.

BTW-my kids are thrilled that Katie and Madalyn are getting kittens!

cindysue

Skeller said...

A fab time, it looks like!
And gratuitous Johnny Depp name dropping. I'll be back....

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Rhea--Look at you racking up the comments! I need to come over to your blog and do the same thing to regain my title. I would love to hear about the Blue Bell tour. There is a Mayfield Dairy/ice cream place about an hour from us...and I've heard the tour is not that interesting. Which made us a smidge skeptical about driving 3 hours for a 45 minute tour. But there was ice cream involved.

Isn't that crazy -- that I would not object so much about the kitties because it's blog fodder? This is a sickness to be sure!

I'd love the books...I'll email you. Thank you much!

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Cindy--Ummm...who was it buying books at B&N?! And then you called me to talk you down from your Pampered Chef order. I can spend your money like nobody's business. :-)

Susan--It was my lame attempt at a tease. All these bloggers that write serials...I am incapable. I have to do what I can with whatever hooks I can find!

Angie's Spot said...

Looks like fun so far! But, one mention of Johnny Depp and now I'm in a tizzy. Must know that story now!

And save your gas on the Mayfield tour. It's about an hour from my house and I wouldn't go. They used to give huge free samples at the ice cream shoppe at the end of the tour, but that stopped.

In other news, have you ever been to the Kangaroo Sanctuary close to Dawsonville? Hubby & I are thinking of coming down there for that.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Angie--I think you are just trying to humor me! Maybe I should work on actually writing that post. Or, I could save it for Wednesday because I have tons of pictures.

That is what I heard about Mayfield. And now I think there is confirmation. I have not been to the Kangaroo sanctuary. I don't think they let in kids younger than 8...which is why we haven't ventured up. I might need to look at it again. Madalyn could pass :-)

Teri said...

Okay, okay, I'm enjoying the story, I'm following along, I'm paying attention, I'm loving the almost-getting-two-kitties-thing, but then SCREEEEECCCH!!!! Johnny Depp..what????? He loves ME, so I'm not sure what's going on behind my back.

KimmyJ said...

Sounds like so much fun!!!

Lula! said...

Y'all had mucho fun...mucho...

And Kat--I've consumed an embarrassing amount of peanut M&Ms over the past 4 days. But not too embarrassing that I won't tell you about it.

And HELLO--Johnny Depp? Please tell...I dig him.

Brian and Staci said...

What a great trip you are having! Yes, I do order from The Schwann Man...around here, I call him MY little schwann man...he loves it and always gives me something free :) I love their Summer's Dream, it's like a dreamscicle...I've been known to eat a gallon...yes, A GALLON buy myself in two days! I also like their salmon and diced chicken breast. You should give them a try!

Apple Joos said...

Yay for kitties! I'm a total cat person and I could be one of those old cat ladies when I get to be old and decrepit. When someone says they're getting a kitty, they might as well have just said "WE're having a baby!" or "We won the lottery!" or "Sean Connery is in my living room!"

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Teri--Screeched to a halt, huh?! Well, I am still working on the post. Cindy keeps calling and distracting me with her wish list from the new Southern Living catalog.

Lula--We did have mucho fun - we can always manage to amuse ourselves - even if no one else is amused. We are still laughing about the field trip that wasn't. And Johnny will be up soon. Probably.

Staci--So, do you think that Schwan's will make a delivery with just some monster cookies? And maybe some cinnamon rolls? Why can't these things be good for me and green beans be the things that expand my hips?

Apple Joos--Ummm...wait...I never said "Sean Connery is in my living room." Really, I didn't. Mom said her cat was lonely. No one said that other thing. Which we won't speak of. If we speak of it, it might come to pass. I don't want Sean Connery in my living room. On the other hand...

Mama Dawg said...

Huh? What? I heard Johnny Depp? What?

Firefly Mom said...

Hehe - isn't it funny how kids can't hear you call them to pick up their shoes, take out the trash, or insert-chore-of-choice-here, but they CAN hear an offhanded mention of a lonely cat and come running, already thinking of the lovely little kitty that they will soon (in their dreams!) cuddle ;D